HOME   |   ABOUT   |   KEYNOTE SPEAKER   |   CONSULTATIONS   |   TRAINING   |   STORE   |   CONTACT          

Standup and Speakers: Use this technique to write funnier material

I've got a new favorite set-up I'm using that's so new it's not even in "The Comedy Bible." I call it, "Reluctant Admissions" and here's how it works:  I make a big, bold statement of "truth" and then I have to admit that it was actually a total lie.  Now, here's how you put it into action...
Recently, I was performing for a Canadian audience and I said:
[STATEMENT] "We have so much in common, you're from Canada - I'm from Canada!"  
[ADMISSION ONE] "Well, not exactly 'Canada' Canada...'" 
[ADMISSION TWO] "Actually, that's just what I tell people when I'm travelling through France."
Here's another example: 
[STATEMENT] I lost 120 pounds! 
[ADMISSION ONE] Well... I didn't exactly lose all of it at once. 
[ADMISSION TWO] Well, actually - I just lost and gained the same 10 pounds twelve times.
Your turn now. Riff on this:

[STATEMENT] I finished my first 5K yesterday!
[ADMISSION ONE]
[ADMISSION TWO]
And you don't have to be a comic to add this to your spiel. It's a great opening joke for speakers and comics alike!

Go ahead and post your on jokes using this formula in my blog comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Judy's Blog

Judy Carter blogs on comedy, storytelling and public speaking techniques, using personal stories and her adventures as a stand-up comic turned motivational public speaker. Her weekly blogs are read by fans of her books, “The Comedy Bible” (Simon and Schuster) and “The Message of You” (St. Martin’s Press), which include comics, speakers, and entrepreneurs. She is also known for teaching the value of humor and storytelling to businesses as a leadership and stress reduction tool.