HOME   |   ABOUT   |   KEYNOTE SPEAKER   |   CONSULTATIONS   |   TRAINING   |   STORE   |   CONTACT          

How to get an audience to love you in 60 seconds

To get an audience to love you, open with a story that is about THEM!  What is everyone interested in? Themselves.

Last night I spoke at a women’s event in Robinson, Illinois.  I opened with a story about my drive through Amish country and the unusual names of the cities I drove through to get there:

“What a long scary drive it was from Indianapolis to get here.   I was driving so long that I looked at the time on my cell phone and it went back an hour? [Indiana is Eastern time and Illinois is on Central Time.] Then, in front of me on the road was a horse and buggy.  Time didn’t change an hour! It changed a 100 years! {Huge laughs]. Then I drove, what seemed to me to be forever, and I hit Palestine [name of a city near Robinson]. Did I miss a turn?  Because somehow I’m not in the Midwest, I’m in the Middle East!  [Huge Laughs]. This is scary because, 1.  It’s late at night, 2. I’m Jewish. [Huge Laughs]”

I always riff at the beginning of my speech on material that is specific to the audience.  The audience really appreciates that and I then have them in the palm of my hand after that!

Judy Carter
"Laughing your way out of Stress"
www.judycarter.com
310-915-0555
facebook/judycarter3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Judy's Blog

Judy Carter blogs on comedy, storytelling and public speaking techniques, using personal stories and her adventures as a stand-up comic turned motivational public speaker. Her weekly blogs are read by fans of her books, “The Comedy Bible” (Simon and Schuster) and “The Message of You” (St. Martin’s Press), which include comics, speakers, and entrepreneurs. She is also known for teaching the value of humor and storytelling to businesses as a leadership and stress reduction tool.